Sunday, October 13, 2013

Trail Review: Tafoni Sandstone Formation


We managed to pull ourselves away from our kitten to go for a little hike the other day! I haven't been out in the woods for a long time, and it felt so good to get some fresh air.


We didn't have much time, and just went a few miles out to see the Tafoni Sandstone Formation. The trail starts off of Skyline Boulevard in the mountains near Woodside. It's just three or four miles round trip with a little gain, and makes for a nice walk. The sandstone formation is quite impressive, and there's also a little viewpoint picnic area just a little further on where you can see out to the ocean on a clear day.


When we got back to the parking lot, we saw a sign directing us to the Methuselah Tree right across the highway and we decided to check it out. I'm not sure why our guidebook doesn't mention that it's worth it to take that extra .1 mile walk to see this enormous tree, because it really is! Most of the redwoods in this forest were cut down to build San Francisco, but a few old trees still exist. It's a treat to see them, but it always makes me a little sad wondering what this forest would have looked like if it hadn't been so intensely logged. This tree is estimated to be 1,800 years old and has a trunk diameter of 14 feet!





10 comments:

  1. Great pics, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos! I've only driven on Skyline to get from one point to the other without taking the time to stop and explore. Next time we'll have to check out these wonderful sandstone formations! Thanks for sharing the info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I continue to be amazed that wilderness like this exists so close to such a big city and metro area. SF is really a neat place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The redwood forests off of Skyline are gorgeous too. I feel so lucky to live so close!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a hiker, but I would love to see that tree, it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What gorgeous scenery! That tree is magnificent. I would LOVE to go hiking in your part of the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's just right off of Skyline! No hiking necessary :) It's really neat and humbling to see something that has been alive and growing for such a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And I would love to go hiking in your part of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know I'm late catching up, but I do love your trail reviews!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment - I love reading your thoughts!